Saturday, January 19, 2013

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

We saw Priscilla Queen of the Desert tonight.  It's an Australian musical about 3 drag queens crossing the desert in a bus in order to get to a new show venue.  It's campy, but it has real heart and extraordinary costumes, makeup, and a fun collection of disco music (with more than a dash of Madonna and a little bit of country thrown in).  I usually like to watch the movie version of shows before seeing the musical, but I wasn't able to obtain a copy in time for my review.  I guess I'll just have to do it afterwards.

The music relates to what the characters are going through at the moment.   A Greek chorus of sorts appears and disappears as needed, and they are always in dazzling costume.  This show features a stunning number of rapid costume changes.  Make special note to count the number of changes when the trio finally get to their destination in the second act.  Astonishing and just fabulous.




I brought some binoculars to the show today and was looking at the eye makeup.   The makeup changed just as rapidly as the costumes!  I think I've figured out how they did this.  Each time we see new makeup on the actors, it appears to be painted onto a facial appliance.   It might even be a mask.   Very cool that they could do such elaborate things that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment