Sunday, February 14, 2016

If/Then

We saw If/Then yesterday.   It's about a woman, Elizabeth, and the choices she makes in her life.   The unique thing about this musical is two parallel realities are shown in alternating turn.  The stories break off at a single choice at the beginning of the show.  It's really fascinating the way it is performed.  In one path, Beth pursues career and her dream of becoming a city planner.   In the other path, Liz chases love and family.   The lead actress is Liz when she wears glasses and Beth without them.  It works incredibly well.

The part was written for Idina Menzel.  The actress who is on tour was Idina's understudy for Wicked and for If/Then.   I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this show.   In fact, once I got there, it reminded me of how I play visual novels.   I usually alternate save files between different choices.   I liked it more than I thought I would.

My one criticism of the plot is when Beth mentions that she didn't have a real marriage because she didn't have children.  That line really devalues the marriages of people who choose to not have kids or can't have kids.  I really disagree with it.

1 comment:

  1. I've not heard of this musical, but I like the context. To watch 1 person's life unfold in multi-faceted ways based on this path versus that path. It's too bad the path without kids was devalued. I can imagine that bothered many people other than you (it bothers me just hearing about it). It would have been nice if they would have shown respect and the potential for happiness for both paths. There are many societal scripts in need of updating.

    ReplyDelete