Saturday, March 18, 2017

How I Learned to Drive

I saw How I Learned to Drive this week at the Cleveland Play House.  It's a Pulitzer winning play from 1998.  The protagonist, Little Bit, takes us on a non-sequential ride through her memories of how she was groomed for pedophilia by her Uncle Peck with touches of humor and a Greek chorus.  The 1960's driving video clips are used to indicate what direction in time the clips are occurring.

We always go to the pre-show talk.  Our seat neighbors did not, and I overheard them say, "I think I know exactly what this is about!"  I decided to enlighten them a little so the subject wouldn't be a complete shock if they were expecting a light romp about 1960's driving school.  I recommend listening to this interview about the show.  It offers some insight into the second lead.

It's been a year of very emotionally hard hitting theater for me.   A Great Wilderness, Wait Until Dark, Body Awareness, and Fun Home all have deeply intense subjects.   I find myself thinking back of the events of this play.  I wonder how anyone could do such a thing and perpetuate a cycle of abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment