Thursday, April 19, 2012

Anniversary Dinner at Georgetown

Last night my husband and I went out to Georgetown to celebrate our anniversary.   The food was wonderful and I was inspired to create this blog (I had been kicking around the idea of blogging for a couple of years).   Two of my great passions are good food and wonderful theatre.   I often take pictures of food and post them to Facebook.  I've had many positive responses, so I figured, why not put them on a blog?  Actually, most of my status updates on Facebook concern either neat shows I have seen or things I've gotten to eat.  I hope to describe the things that I like in a cohesive narrative.

This was the first dish they served us after we had ordered our official appetizer.  It was a radish salad I think.


This was my husband's appetizer.  From the website: Braised Lamb Shank Risotto · English Peas · Lemon Zest · Toasted Pistachios ⋅ Port Reduction

 This was my appetizer.  Pan Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras · Toasted Walnut Bread · Strawberry Relish ⋅ Basil ⋅ Balsamic & Cardamom Syrup ⋅ Rhubarb.   Those are little slivers of dried strawberry decorating the dish.

The bread was nice.  There was herbed butter, that wasn't too salty.   We got three types of bread, two pieces of each type.  There was a salted stick, similar to a pretzel, a traditional crusty French loaf, and the soft multigrain bread pictured in the foreground.

We each had a bowl of the clam chowder.  Manhattan Clam Chowder · Fresh Herbs · Potatoes ⋅ Tomato ⋅ Applewood Smoked Bacon


Chili Grilled Hanger Steak · Crispy Sweet Potato Croquette · Pear Compote · Sautéed Parsnips · Balsamic Reduction.   I thought the potato croquette was particularly interesting.  It was crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.

Parmesan Crusted Lake Erie Walleye · Grilled Asparagus · Parmesan Potato Cobbler · Whole Grain Mustard Beurre Blanc.   I really enjoyed this main course.   The fish was tender, with just a bit of cheesy crispness on the outside.  The asparagus was tender.  Parmesan potato cobbler was just delicious!   I never thought of cobbler as anything but a dessert before.   It was nicely savory.


Almond Cake ∙ Layered Almond Cake · White Chocolate Butter Cream · Raspberry Crush ⋅ Passion Fruit Sorbet ⋅ Almond Brittle.  They put candles on this dessert when they found out about our anniversary!   It reminded me of our wedding cake, with the almond cake with raspberry flavor.   I particularly enjoyed the almond brittle garnishing the top of the confection.  It was salty and sweet.


When I go out to eat, I often estimate how many meals I can get from the leftovers.  I was able to have my soup again today for lunch, and the last of my walleye for dinner tonight.  My husband had his soup and hangar steak for lunch too.  That's a total of five meals for this outing.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... I always lover the food pictures you get. Sounds like this place was really fancy.

    ReplyDelete