Saturday, May 11, 2013

Guys and Dolls

Today we saw Guys and Dolls, a collaboration between the Key Bank Broadway Series and Great Lakes Theater.  We watched the pre-show talk beforehand, and it was described as a classic from the Golden Age of Broadway.  I was scared.  I dislike South Pacific, so my expectations were set pretty low.  However, I found myself really enjoying the show.

Like many classic shows (such as Anything Goes), romances abound.  In this case, there are two sets of couples.   A new couple is formed based on a bet that a gambler can get a missionary to fly to Cuba with him.  The other couple is an established one, a showgirl and another gambler, who have been engaged for 14 years.  This situation has caused the girl considerable psychosomatic ailments. 

The musical contains many classic tunes, such as Luck Be A Lady and Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat.   The comedy is excellent and the music really connects everything together.

No comments:

Post a Comment