Sunday, February 23, 2014

Carrie the Musical

Let me start by saying that this is the best musical about a telekinetic revenge rampage that I have ever seen!  Actually, it's the only musical of that type that I've ever seen.   The Beck Center for the Arts does an amazing amount of edgy theater, and Carrie the Musical is not to be missed!

I've never seen the movie, but the image of Sissy Spacek as Carrie at the prom, is one of the most remembered images in Hollywood history.  This show gets down to the true emotion of how the events happened. 

Carrie is a school outcast, raised by a fanatically religious mother.  After she gets her first period in the gym shower, the other girls mock her and throw tampons at her.  One girl, Sue, feels bad afterwards, and tries to make things right by apologizing and having her boyfriend take Carrie to the prom.  Chris, the lead female bully, gets cut out of prom because she doesn't apologize for her actions.   She decides to arrange the pigs blood incident at prom in order to get her revenge.  We all know how that ultimately works out.

I really loved this show!   I am curious how long it takes to get all that stage blood out of the dress for 3 shows a week.  You can appreciate the show without having read the book or seen the movie (or movies as I've now learned).  Go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment