Sunday, February 8, 2015

Dogfight

It's a two musical weekend for us.   We just got back from Dogfight at the Beck Center.  It's a regional premier for this one.   I was very moved.   I didn't even know it was originally a movie from 1991 starring River Phoenix.

A squad of Marines is spending their last night in San Francisco before shipping out to Okinawa, en route to what will eventually become the Vietnam War.  They have this contest where they have to bring the ugliest girl to a party to be judged.  Our male lead, Birdlace picks up Rose, a shy and socially awkward waitress.   He eventually has doubts about enrolling her in the cruel game, but it's too late.  Rose discovers the contest and things get ugly.  

The girl who plays Rose as an amazing voice.  It's so emotive.  I can see her playing Elphaba in Wicked someday.  

I got angry, I cried, I shuddered, and just ran through all of my emotions.  It's definitely a show to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment