Saturday, March 7, 2015

Dirty Dancing: The Classic Story on Stage

Steve and I just got back from seeing Dirty Dancing.  Admittedly, I haven't seen the movie on which the play is based.  But I enjoyed it.  The year is 1963 and family vacations lasting the whole summer are a thing.   Girl meets noble dance instructor, romance ensues along with mistaken trust on the part of the family.

The dancing was really wonderful.   Excellent choreography.  I'm usually a bit skeptical of movies turned into plays, but Dirty Dancing was well executed.  I can see why people love the movie so much.

I call this a play with music because it's all about the dance.  There are only two vocalists (pictured above) and they sort of float in and out of scenes as needed.  It works.

If you love the movie, you will definitely enjoy this.  If you haven't, you still will.

No comments:

Post a Comment