Saturday, March 1, 2014

Churned Ice Cream

We recently started drinking milk from Hartzler Family Dairy.  It's yummy stuff, pasteurized but non-homogenized, so you need to shake it up in order to mix the cream in with the rest of the milk.   It comes in glass bottles that you return to the store for a deposit.   It's been neat because we can have two different types of milk because the containers are half gallon size.  Anyhow, I wander away from my point.  Through Hartzler's website, I found out about Churned Ice Cream in Cleveland, which just happens to use their milk.

I was really looking forward to the ice cream because the website lists a huge amount of exotic flavors.  I really wanted to try the rosemary garlic, but it was already gone for the season.  However, we ended up trying lots of other neat flavors.

My ice cream was pretty much breakfast in a cup.  The scoop on top is maple bacon with french toast.  It really does taste like french toast with bacon and maple syrup.  They even served it with little bacon bits on top!

The scoop on the left is peanut butter and jelly.   It's honey peanut butter with raspberry jam and some bread in there.   I ended up buying a pint to go home.  I was looking for a good peanut butter and jelly ice cream, and I haven't seen one since I lived on the east coast.  A local market is going to be carrying Churned's ice cream soon, so I'll have not problem obtaining it.

The scoop in front is Cap'n Crunch.  It has the cereal pieces in it and the ice cream is nicely milky, like would be in your bowl at breakfast time.

The last scoop (on the right) was my favorite, brown butter with lavender brittle.  Jeni's makes a similar flavor, but uses almond brittle instead.  The lavender doesn't overwhelm the flavor of the brown butter, which is sweet and salty at the same time.  The brittle pieces are actually soft and you get a lot of pieces per scoop of ice cream.

This was Steve's bowl.   The scoop on top is the peanut butter and jelly.  The bright orange one in front is tropical sorbet, with coconut, mango, banana, passion fruit, and pineapple.   The scoop to the left is the black forest with dark chocolate ice cream, almonds, and cherries.   The one to the right is the coconut brownie.  We didn't even realize it was vegan!

I can't wait to go back and try more flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment