Saturday, March 8, 2014

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat

We just got back from seeing the new production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  I've actually seen this show twice recently.  The Beck Center had a production in 2010.  We also just saw our nephew in the children's choir of a production put on by my husband's high school.  I thought I would be really tired of the show by the time we got to see this production.   However, I find myself incredibly impressed by the technical aspects of the production.

This show featured extensive use of colored projectors.  Huge screens draped down from the stage and grew and shrank to indicate movement.  There were relatively few actual set pieces.  The projections made of for that.  They were so detailed!   The screens actually looked like they were stone, or gold, or whatever they needed at the time.  Also, this is the first production I've seen that doesn't feature a children's chorus.  It actually works really well without it!

Also, the most memorable part of the show was the song Canaan Days.   It's usually my least favorite musical number.   It's slow, and if it's done poorly, it can really drag down the energy of the show.   This US touring company really nailed it and made it extremely funny!    I liked the part where Joseph's brothers were dividing a rat to eat.  When the brother singing the song treats his siblings like a choir, hilarity ensues.

If you haven't seen Joseph before, definitely look into this production.   You'll have a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment