Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Stomp

I saw Stomp for the first time Sunday.  I really thought I had seen it back in high school, but apparently not.  I would remember something like this.   I won't call Stomp a musical.  There is a wonderful plethora of percussion in tantalizing rhythms.   It's a performance of music.   I really enjoyed it.  

It's amazing how all of this sound is created.  No traditional instruments really except for drums.   The performers use everything from brooms, to pans, to basketballs, and cigarette lighters to make amazing patterns in ways you couldn't imagine stuff being used.  I'm a huge fan of traditional Japanese taiko drums and this really reminded me of them.  

Stomp is something that every arts fan should see at least once in their lifetime.   If loud noises disturb you, please bring earplugs.  But definitely go.

No comments:

Post a Comment