Sunday, May 29, 2016

Heathers: The Musical

We just got back from seeing Heathers: the Musical at the Beck Center for the Arts and I feel compelled to write this review right now!  I have never seen the movie it is based on, but I do know that it's a cult classic with tons of high school drama.   This show is phenomenal.   The first two weekends are sold out in this regional premier.   I predict an extended run!   It has mature content, so our usual Sunday matinee was a Sunday night show.  Do not bring your kids and hold on to your hats and your hearts!

The story follows Veronica Shaw, a high school outcast who falls in with the popular girl clique, the Heathers.  They are Heather Duke, Heather McNamara,and Heather Chandler.   Veronica is seen as valuable because of her forging ability for things like hall passes and report cards.  She gets in and popular, then her life goes crazy.   Death, death, and more mayhem ensue.

This reminds me a bit of Sweeney Todd.  I came out of act one singing, "We All Deserve to Die" from that show.   This show is absolutely dark, yet somehow uplifting at the end.   Please please go see it.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment