Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Fantasticks

Before today, I had never seen the Fantasticks before.   I had heard of the show because my high school did it, but it was before I attended there.   Great Lakes Theater was performing it, and we got to see it today, during the final weekend.

It's about love, parents and their intentions for their children, and what happens when you get what you want.  That last item reminds me of Into the Woods a bit.   There is also a character whose comic relief specialty is performing death scenes.   Never could I imagine death by bowling ball as such an amusing thing.

At first, I was unimpressed with the initial introduction of the young couple in love.   They are parted by a wall and their fathers hate one another.   When the fathers come on the stage, I was instantly more interested by their scheming and the magic of forbidding something as a means of motivation.   It truly made the show into a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment