Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Santaland Diaries

I just got back from seeing the Santaland Diaries by David Sedaris.   It's a one man show, recounting David's experience as an elf at Macy's in 1989.   It's funny, crass, and just well told.  I listened to the NPR recording in previous years, and I was expecting it to be very similar.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how much costumes and a set could do for the monologue. 

I was laughing out loud when David, as Crumpet the Elf, tells the little boy that if he's not good, Santa will take his stuff, at the mother's request.  You should see this show.  It's only an hour long without an intermission, but the laughs are frequent and hearty.  If you can't see it, I recommend searching the Internet for David Sedaris' reading on NPR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment