Sunday, July 19, 2015

Mango Brie Grilled Cheese

I know that many of you wonder if I ever eat at home with the dizzying number of restaurant posts that I have written.  Yes, I do.  I just don't cook very much.  What I cook is very specialized.   Pictured above is my mango brie grilled cheese.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are wonderful.  There are so many ways that you can vary them.   Some people stick with American cheese and white bread.  That's fine, but I prefer to be more adventurous.

I use Trader Joe's Multigrain Country Bread.  I like the bits of oatmeal and other grains in it.   It also keeps very well in the fridge.   When we buy it, we put it right in the refrigerator.

Belletoile is my favorite brie.  It's extremely rich, a triple creme rather than the usual double creme.  I like snacking on it but it makes for an indulgent grilled cheese.

My family brings these dried mangoes home from the Philippines.   They are by far the best I've had.   The ones you can buy at the Asian grocery stores and Trader Joe's are okay, but these are just sweet and perfect.

To make this sandwich, turn your stove top to medium and use your favorite frying pan. While the pan is heating, slice the brie and arrange onto the bread.   I don't cover the entire surface because it can get very runny when heated.  I leave about a half inch margin all around the perimeter of the cheese free.   Cut the dried mango into bite sized chunks and arrange with the cheese.  You can leave it in strips, but you'll find yourself pulling them out whole when you bite into the sandwich.   Cutting it with kitchen scissors works best.

Put a small pat of butter in the heated pan and disperse over the surface.  Immediately add your sandwich.   Brie doesn't take long to melt, so it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.   Transfer the sandwich to a plate and put another square of butter in the pan.   Repeat cooking on the other side.   The surface should be golden brown.

The sandwich goes very well with a glass of milk or a glass of white wine.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment