Saturday, July 25, 2015

Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella

Steve and I just got back from seeing Cinderella at Playhouse Square.   I was really expecting to dislike it.  I don't have a very good history with Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals.  Steve and I actually met because of mutual rejection of a famous production.   This new production is absolutely delightful!  It takes the classic music from the 1960s production and combines it with a new book that gives the work a wonderful depth.

I grew up watching the original television musical.  The new book makes it extremely accessible and endows it with snarky wit.  There is an addition of a new character and a subplot.   It really reflects today's cultural paradigm.

The quick costume changes truly seem magical.  There are three of them to look out for.   I recommend binoculars if you are seated in the balcony.  I could easily watch this show again.

No comments:

Post a Comment